Boy Meets Girl


It's the story you've heard time and time again.

Boy meets girl.
Boy pursues girl.
Boy proposes to girl.
Girl says yes.
They live happily ever after.

Only not.

Our story is more complicated. And yet, it's all so simple.

Boy meets girl.
Girls is unavailable.
Boy and girl work together.
Boy and girl become great friends.
Girl is available.
Boy likes girl.
Girl likes boy.
Boy proposes to girl.
Girl says yes.
Boy gets deployed.
Girl plans a wedding.

I'm that girl, welcome to my blog.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Girl goes to Vegas

Boy proposes to Girl.
Girl says yes.
Boy goes to war.
Girl plans a wedding.
Girl gets overwhelmed.
Girl goes to Vegas.

I reached a breaking point.
I was here at home, attempting to plan a wedding a year down the road after J was home.
There were moments of enjoyment and excitement but mostly it was stressful.
After a conversation with my mom, J and I decided that it would be best to simplify.

And a plan was born.

Instead of the November wedding we were planning to have here at home, we would have a wedding in March when he came home on R&R. And we would go to Vegas!

We still wanted a wedding... and not a satin draped Elvis chapel wedding.
And so the search for a venue continued... but now, in Las Vegas.

With J being gone, and not really having a lot of experience with Vegas, we decided the best thing to do would be to take a trip over there. So for Thanksgiving, my mom and dad and I made the 5 hour drive to Las Vegas.

Photobucket


We had a mission: Plan a wedding in 3 days.
We made a lot of progress and I came home with a plan.

We found a fantastic Venue and we also managed to plan out where to stay, where to take pictures, and all kinds of little details like that.

I am getting excited as this wedding is taking shape. I am finally on a role. I have major direction! Lots of blogs coming with all the details!

And while we were in Vegas, my mom bought me another brooch. So I'd have one from Las Vegas :) It's also one of the colors we are using in the wedding (more on that in a later post!)

Photobucket

3 comments:

Sofia said...

Hey D,
I'm really glad that you decided to simplify your wedding. I think that getting married in Vegas is a good option because you have the opportunity to really focus on what really matter (J, you, and your relationship in and with Jesus). The only thing that I have been personally struggling with is how to incorporate Jesus into a Las Vegas wedding. I'm afraid that I will not get a pastor who prays over us or that we won't have communion etc. How are you taking care of this aspect? Will your dad officiate at your wedding since he is a pastor?
I would love to hear your thoughts.
<3

Girl said...

Aw Sofia... so sweet :)

I think it is kind of like anything... you really just have to make an effort. We are getting married in a wedding venue that is off the strip (more about this in a later post!) and J's uncle (who is a pastor) is doing the ceremony. My dad is just going to be my dad. However, I have written the majority of the ceremony, and J and I are writing our own vows, so we are incorporating what is important to us. We aren't having communion I dont think, but that is a personal preference rather than a choice of the officiant.

I dont think its a matter of incorporating Jesus in a Las Vegas wedding anymore than in any wedding. It comes down to having someone perform it that loves the Lord and is willing to do such a ceremony. I'm sure they exist in Vegas. A lot of the things that are sterotypical of "Vegas" weddings will not be in ours... again, lots more on this in future posts!

Good luck!

Sofia said...

Great feedback, thanks!
I'm excited see how everything unfolds :)