Boy Meets Girl


It's the story you've heard time and time again.

Boy meets girl.
Boy pursues girl.
Boy proposes to girl.
Girl says yes.
They live happily ever after.

Only not.

Our story is more complicated. And yet, it's all so simple.

Boy meets girl.
Girls is unavailable.
Boy and girl work together.
Boy and girl become great friends.
Girl is available.
Boy likes girl.
Girl likes boy.
Boy proposes to girl.
Girl says yes.
Boy gets deployed.
Girl plans a wedding.

I'm that girl, welcome to my blog.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Girl gets crafty (part 1)

Boy gets deployed.
Girl wants pictures.
Boy agrees.
Girl starts planning.
Boy does training.
Girl gets crafty.

I am a DIY (do it yourself) kind of girl.
I love doing crafts and being creative.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wanted something special and different for our engagement pictures. After talking with our planning/designing team extraordinaire, and with our fabulous photographer, we had a vision in mind. And LOTS of DIY projects!

Project #1: Bundles of love letters
We wanted this to have a dramatic impact. Which meant LOTS of letters. And bundles of letters. I had all kinds of letters from the time J has been away at trainings. But not enough. So I removed the letters from the envelopes (those are going to come into play later) and I replaced them with crumpled paper that was then folded to fit in the envelope.

Photobucket


I continued this process not only with the envelopes that had actually been mailed between us, but also with 2 boxes of blank envelopes. I used the blank envelopes between the ones that had been written on, to make the stacks look thicker. Then I tied the stacks of envelopes with twine.

Photobucket


At an antique show a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon this little treasure:

Photobucket


Old, vintage stamps. I made some of the blank envelopes into "prop" envelopes by writing on them and using these stamps.

Photobucket


I managed to make quite a large volume of these letters and it didn't cost me much at all. Here's the break down:

Vintage stamps: $2
Blank envelopes (2 boxes): $8
Spiral notebook paper: $4
twine: $3

TOTAL: $17


Project #2: Heart of letters
One of the photos that Ashlyn and Heather found for inspiration is FABULOUS!

Photobucket


We decided to do something similar. Remember the letters I mentioned above? The ones I took out of the envelopes? Those are going to be used to create the heart. I bought plain wood letters from Michael's for $1.40 a piece.

Photobucket


We chose the word "favorite" because before we said "I love you", we'd say "You're my favorite". It has significance to us. I painted the letters with grey paint.

Photobucket


Photobucket


I love the finished product!

Photobucket

Wood letters: $1.40 each ($11.20)
Paint: $1 each ($2)

TOTAL $13.20

I can't wait to see how Ashlyn and Heather pull it all together. I know this is going to be a fabulous shoot! More DIY projects and details coming soon!

3 comments:

JennAngelica said...

LOVE IT!!

Unknown said...

I love your ideas! Soooo adorable :] I'm in the midst of something with my guy that is similar to yours but not as extreme. God's been soo gracious and good to both of us. I"m so blessed by your stories!
-Christina

Light said...

So I am reading through your blog and so glad to happen on it through your mom. Congratulations! I hope the wedding planning process goes very smoothly! I know how hectic it can be!

These ideas are spectacular.